Monday, July 11, 2011

Quick update - Working from the boat again, lost a crew member, and heading to Lake Worth

Here is a quick update, since it has been a little while since the last post:

After 5 days of concentrated development at home, I'm mostly caught up with the high-speed Internet stuff I needed to do for work.  Most programming I can do from the boat just fine, but Silverlight development usually requires me to have a high-bandwidth, constant connection - not easy to do over the wireless RavenX.  Now I'm back to doing database work and client-side development, so I've got a lot to do for the next week.

We lost a crew member today!  :(  Well, we didn't really "lose" him, I mean, we know where he is, but Rebecca's brother, Ed, decided this would be a good spot to catch a plane back to Texas.  Ed was instrumental in getting the boat this far - he showed me how to rebuild the outboard carburetor, he fixed our autopilot, he probably drove the largest distance of all of us (especially at night off-shore), and was always ready to jump at whatever task needed to be done!  We all miss him already and I am personally grateful for the time he spent with us!  Ed, we look forward to seeing you on your own boat very soon!!!!

We pulled out of Ft Pierce this morning, and promptly got stuck in the mud 20ft from the slip!  Turns out, low tide isn't really a great time to leave that marina, lol.  Ben said "power through it toward the pilings, it is deeper there" and he was right.  The sounder read 2.8ft for a bit there (which is about 4.3ft, meaning we had about 6in of keel plowing through the mud).  We are thinking of sending the marina a bill for dredging!  :)  No harm done, and we got out into the channel just fine.  We are now headed to the Lake Worth Inlet, about 45 miles away, where we plan to anchor for the night.  After that, we hope to reach Miami the next day, then the Keys!!!!!  Woohoo!!!!!

Okay, I'd better get back to work!

No comments: