Sunday, June 26, 2011

Don't trust bridge operators

We are anchored not far from Camp Lejeune in a nice anchorage called Mile Hammock.  We are settled in after a good meal, and everyone is going to bed as the air conditioner cools things off nicely.  A few hours ago, we had a bit of excitement.

After leaving Morehead City and continuing down the ICW, we decided to not push too hard today.  We negotiated some sketchy shoaled areas along the way, but as we approached the Onslow Beach Bridge, we thought the hard part of the journey was behind us.  About a half-mile away, I radioed the bridge operator and requested an opening.  Since this stretch is very straight, he replied "Keep on coming, Captain, I've been watching you for a while and I'll open it when you get here".  We kept going at full speed and began to draw close.  Now getting nervous, my finely-tuned senses are detecting a distinct lack of bridge-openness.  In fact, I'd have to say that bridge seems to not be opening at all!  I slam into reverse as I hear "Sorry, Captain, the bridge is a little slow today!" as the thing finally begins to swing open.

Unfortunately, there also happens to be a nasty current pushing me towards the unopened bridge, so though my full reverse does halt my progress, but also pushes us sideways on the bridge pilings.  Rebecca and Ed jump up to the edge to halt any significant damage, but we are all given a good scare before we slide past the swinging bridge.  I mumble some distinctly un-Christian thoughts toward the bridge operator as we pass by, but I am grateful that some scratches are all I have to show for the experience.

Our destination tomorrow is Wilmington!

2 comments:

SteveM said...

Voice of experience:
Never get so close to a closed bridge that you need to rely on your engine in reverse. Always keep enough distance to come about so you can line up for another approach.
You never really know what a bridge operator is dealing with. There could be a slow bicycle crossing, or a traffic accident on the bridge at just the wrong time.

Dean said...

Yes, good advice. I won't let that happen again, even if the guy is telling me to come on through.